Undergraduate Teaching Assistants

The Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UGTA) and ASU 101 Section Leader program selects successful undergraduate students to serve as teaching assistants in a variety of classes offered by the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. We aim to place a UGTA or Section Leader in every section of our introduction to engineering courses such as ASU 101, FSE 100, and EGR 101 as well as some of our content courses to assist faculty members with exploratory and collaborative learning activities.  UGTAs and Section Leaders act as a cultural bridge from high school to the university environment, help freshmen to navigate the institution, promote self-confidence and self-reliance, act as role models who demonstrate personal and academic success, and offer academic support and guidance to their peers in the classroom.


  • Spend about 5 hours per week assisting a faculty member in the classroom or lab
  • Meet with your faculty member on a regular basis to prepare for activities
  • Enroll in and successfully complete FSE 201: Engineering Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (1 unit) the semester you serve as a UGTA


  • Improve communication and leadership skills
  • Develop a working relationship with a faculty member and students in your program
  • Earn valuable experience for your resume
  • Get recognized at an appreciation event with the schools’ leadership
  • Earn course credit on your transcript
  • UGTAs receive a $1,000 stipend at the end of the semester
  • ASU 101 Section Leaders receive a $500 stipend per section (max of two sections for $1,000) at the end of the semester


  • Sophomore, junior, or senior academic level
  • Academic good standing with no Academic Integrity Policy violations
  • For most assignments, UGTAs must have completed the course with a grade of “B” or higher

NOTE: As of Summer 2021 we are unable to support projects that are planned to be conducted remotely outside of the U.S. Funded projects can be carried out remotely, so long as the student researcher is currently within the U.S.


For more information on these programs, please email [email protected].