Undergraduate Teaching Assistants
Students helping students excel
The Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UGTA) and ASU 101 Section Leader (SL) program(s) select successful undergraduate students to serve as teaching assistants in a variety of classes offered by the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering.
We aim to place a UGTA or Section Leader in every section of our introduction to engineering courses such as ASU 101, FSE 100, and EGR 101 as well as some of our content courses to assist faculty members with exploratory and collaborative learning activities.
UGTAs and Section Leaders act as a cultural bridge from high school to the university environment, help freshmen navigate the institution, promote self-confidence and self-reliance, act as role models who demonstrate personal and academic success, and offer academic support and guidance to their peers in the classroom.
Faculty may request assistance
Elevate your teaching experience, foster student engagement, and enhance course delivery!
Learn more about getting assistance from an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant or Section Leader in your class.
This program gets results
The UGTA and ASU 101 Section Leader programs provide numerous advantages to participants, including:
- Improve communication and leadership skills
- Gain a deeper understanding of working in academia
- Develop a working relationship with a faculty member and connect with students in your program of study
- Earn valuable experience for your resume
- Receive a stipend payment at the end of your assignment
Undergraduate Teaching Assistants (UGTA)
- Spend 5 hours a week supporting your assigned course.
- Regularly meet with your faculty member to prepare for course activities and assignments.
- Enroll in and complete a UGTA-specific training course each semester.
- Spend 3 hours a week supporting your assigned course.
- Attend each scheduled lecture of ASU 101.
- Participate in classroom activities and discussions.
- Act as a Peer Mentor and provide students with your experience as a Fulton student.
- Facilitate the Fulton Difference lecture in-class.
- Meet with students individually to discuss assignments and create a 2-year plan.
- Enroll in and complete a Section Leader specific training course each semester.
- Must be classified as a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Must be a currently enrolled Fulton Undergraduate student to be placed as a Section Leader.
- Must be in good academic standing with no active Academic Integrity Policy violations.
- Must have completed the course they are assigned to as a Section Leader with a grade of a ‘B’ or higher.
How to apply
Students interested in becoming an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (UGTA) or Section Leader must apply here. Please keep in mind that not all students will be offered a position. We recommend reaching out to a faculty member to have them request you as their UGTA. Follow the steps below to apply for a UGTA or Section Leader position.
Steps to apply
- Submit an application to the UGTA/Section Leader portal.
- Students offered a position or course assignment will receive an email with an Offer Letter. Follow the instructions on the Offer Letter received to accept your offer. A signed and completed Offer Letter is required to be hired for each course you are offered.
- Once you have accepted a position, you will need to apply to the Student Employment Office. You must submit BOTH applications to be formally hired and accept your assigned position.