Fostering a Culture of Safety
The Office of Health and Safety for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is devoted to the safety of the Fulton Schools students, staff and faculty.
Jonathan Klane, Assistant Director of Safety, provides safety support for Fulton Schools of Engineering labs, shops, offices, classrooms and special events. Their vision is to foster a “positive and integrated safety culture” that embraces everyone’s health and safety as a collective priority.
Just as the Fulton Schools of Engineering is a recognized leader in engineering research and education, its Office of Health and Safety aims to earn the same recognition and success. As a division of the Engineering Dean’s Office, the Office of Health and Safety also works with ASU’s Environmental Health and Safety Department (EHS) to ensure that world-class research and safety go hand in hand.
The Office of Health and Safety for the Fulton Schools of Engineering provides a variety of safety services and can coordinate with external resources to get the job done quickly and safely.
The office offers the following services:
- Provides training that is not provided by EHS, whether due to timing difficulties or subject matter
- Familiarizes new staff, faculty, and researchers with our safety culture and requirements
- Reviews and recommends Prior Hazard Assessment (PHA) requests for new hazardous lab chemicals and/or processes
- Provides safety support on site and in planning as well as debriefing for special events
- Investigates safety-related incidents and recommends prudent and reasonable corrective action(s)
- Conducts inspections and draft reports
- Coordinates the clean-up of chemical spills
- Responds to odor issues
- Supports the Compliance Officer program
- Counsels and informs staff, faculty and students on chemical safety techniques, packaging and labeling practices (upon request)
- Completes risk assessments based on conditions, behaviors and proposed processes
- Reviews and approves Rooftop Access Requests
- Coordinates the Lab Engineering Team for Safety activities (LETS)
The Office of Health and Safety for the Fulton Schools
650 E. Tyler Mall
Goldwater Center (GWC), Tempe campus [map]
You can reach Jonathan Klane at firstname.lastname@example.org.