Startup Village is a diverse residential community of thinkers and doers who can rely on one another’s expertise, energy and ideas to collaborate and move innovative business concepts forward. Its unique culture fosters an entrepreneurial spirit and residents enjoy unique resources, events and support for launching their ventures.
Startup Village is located in a cul-de-sac on the ASU Polytechnic campus. Each house is furnished and includes a car port and a full kitchen. Startup Village house utilities include electricity, water, cable, trash pickup, and high-speed internet access.
All Startup Village residents will benefit from a number of unique resources, including:
- intensive training on entrepreneurship programs and opportunities at ASU through ASU Changemaker Central;
- regular weekly touch base meetings to receive business mentoring and guidance from entrepreneurship faculty and experts;
- access to a community spaces, including a community house, which residents can use as extra work space, to hold meetings and for informal gatherings.
Full-time ASU students of any major who are in good academic standing are eligible to apply to live in Startup Village. Applicants should be of sophomore standing or greater by Fall 2016. Applicants may be graduate students or undergraduate students. Applicants do not need to currently have a business or have previous experience with starting a business.
Startup Village residents are not required to have already started a business, but they are expected to both leverage the unique resources of the community and contribute to entrepreneurship efforts at ASU. Responsibilities of Startup Village residents include:
- Become Startup School Certified by completing the ASU Startup School. ASU Startup School is a comprehensive and proven framework for developing ventures. It consists of a series of facilitated workshops in which entrepreneurs learn how to develop a successful venture.
- Leading and implementing ASU Startup Weekend, a 54-hour event where students of all majors come together to share ideas, form teams, build products and launch startups! Startup Village residents will spearhead the event, including creating the vision for the event, necessary planning and implementation.
- Hosting regular office hours to mentor other students who have business ideas – particularly for competitions such as the Edson Student Entrepreneur Initiative or the ASU Innovation Challenge.
- Leading and implementing programming that will be useful to young entrepreneurs like themselves. This may include elevator pitch competitions, lectures and workshops led by entrepreneurs, and field trips to Valley incubators, student entrepreneurship communities at other institutions, and Silicon Valley startups.
Standard ABOR approved housing rates apply. For this year’s University Housing rates, visit https://housing.asu.edu/content/housing-and-dining-rates.
All Startup Village residents will pay a $49 residential community fee each semester. Fees will be applied toward programming for the community.