Medical/Compassionate withdrawal

Please read all the information below thoroughly. To ensure a timely review, it is imperative to follow and complete each step.

A medical/compassionate withdrawal request may be made in extraordinary cases in which serious illness or injury (medical) or another significant personal situation (compassionate) prevents a student from continuing his or her classes, and incompletes or other arrangements with the instructors are not possible.

If you experienced other challenges during the semester, such as difficulty with classes, time management, work or family responsibilities, or other co-curricular commitments, be aware that these are not considered extenuating
circumstances. In these cases, consult your academic advisor and utilize ASU
resources to ensure that you receive the guidance and assistance necessary to remain on track to graduate.

Medical/compassionate withdrawals are not a student “right” and may or may not be approved depending on the circumstances and documentation provided.

Prior to starting the process:

If you are receiving financial assistance, you are strongly encouraged to consult with a Student Financial Assistance counselor to identify and understand the financial assistance/monetary implications of processing a withdrawal transaction.

If you are experiencing continued health issues or other challenges, it may be in your best interest to consult with your academic advisor to explore all options.

Submit all required information:

  1. Download and save a copy of your unofficial transcript. Instructions on how to download an unofficial transcript.
  2. If you are requesting a compassionate withdrawal, have your documentation ready to download prior to starting your request.
  3. Complete the Ira. A Fulton Schools of Engineering Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal Request Form.
  4. Submit required documentation: Medical Withdrawal | Compassionate Withdrawal  

In light of the Covid 19 situation, Fulton Engineering will temporarily accept healthcare provider information from the student, via fax or email. Receiving medical documentation directly from the student’s healthcare provider remains the preferred method via fax.

All requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Contact and submission information:

Fax: 480-965-8095
Email: [email protected]

Packet is complete and you have received confirmation:

A committee of staff will determine whether a medical/compassionate withdrawal will be approved.  The committee reviews the appropriateness of the medical/compassionate withdrawal request and based upon the documentation provided either approves or denies the request.  You will be notified of the decision by email. An approved decision will be communicated to the Registrar’s Office for final processing and posting of result on students’ unofficial transcript. The medical/compassionate withdrawal designee for the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is Sergio Quiros.

If approved, you may be subject to registration restrictions, such as an administrative hold, when you return to school.

Requesting removal of an administrative hold:

This hold will prevent you from registering for future classes. When you are ready to return to school, you will need to submit an official letter from your healthcare provider stating that you are ready to return to school during the specified term. This letter must be provided on the healthcare provider’s letterhead and must be faxed or mailed directly to our office or delivered in a sealed envelope from the medical/healthcare/service provider.


Completed Degrees

If you have completed your Baccalaureate Degree at ASU and your degree has already been posted by the Graduation Office, a Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal request will not be approved.  Please contact our office to investigate other options.

Military/Veteran Students

If you are currently serving in the U.S. Military, or are a Veteran, and you are receiving G.I. Bill Funding, please contact the Pat Tillman Veterans Center to discuss possible financial ramifications of an approved withdrawal, prior to submitting your application.

International Students

If you are an international student with an F1/J1 visa, you must consult with the International Students and Scholars Center to discuss the serious immigration consequences that may result from your withdrawal from ASU. As an international with an F-1/J-1 visa, you must provide medical documentation from a U.S. licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy or licensed clinical psychologist.

Two Year Deadline for Tuition Adjustments

Please review the University’s Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal webpage for the most relevant information regarding partial tuition adjustments or non-refundable credits.